Stoan is a unique wine of its kind reflecting the complexity and potential of our region. It is a lively blend of Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Blanc and Gewürztraminer, born from the creativity of our winemaker.
Tom Hyland, 2013
MONTHS OF MATURATION
YEARS OF AGING POTENTIAL
Alto Adige DOC
A dry winter and an initially cold month of March were followed by above-average temperatures in spring, favouring early bud break and premature flowering. From mid-May to early June the weather was mostly rainy and wet. During the following ripening stage rainfall was evenly distributed and only a few hot days made for short periods of drought. Throughout the summer the nights were refreshingly cool. Harvest began in early September and until mid-October it was repeatedly interrupted by single days of rain, luckily followed by longer periods of sun. The white wines are crispy and fresh and have an intense olfactory appeal. Finesse and elegance characterise the red wines, which already hint at a great aging potential.
- grapes: Chardonnay 65%, Sauvignon 20%, Pinot Blanc 10%, Gewürztraminer 5%
- yield: 45 hl/hectare
- altitude: over 400 m, mostly from 500 – 600 m
- slope exposure: southeast 90 %, south 10 %
- harvest: end of September – mid- October
- soil: gravelly to rocky, limestone and loam, rich in minerals.
- age of vines: 10 – 40 years
- climate: extreme interplay of sunny days influenced by the Mediterranean climate and cool nights marked by the cold downslope winds from the surrounding mountains.
- bottles produced: approx. 48,000, 760 magnum bottles and few other large formats
At harvest, the grapes are delivered in small bins and immediately gently pressed. The must ferments slowly at controlled temperatures (18-20°C) in wood barrels (30 – 40 hl), in which partial malolactic fermentation occurs. The wine is clarified through natural sedimentation of particles.
Stoan matures separately in large wood barrels (30-40 hl), at constant lees contact until the end of August. After blending and bottling, the wine matures in the bottle for at least another 3 months. Total maturation period is thus at least 14 months.
elegant and refined, fruity notes of peach, apricot, pear, elderflower, kumquat, white flowers with fine spicy notes, jasmine, mimosa
deep fruit aromas of pineapple, banana, pear, tomato leaves, green bell pepper, citrus zest, harmonic and balanced, delicate salty minerality with a long lasting, creamy finish
13.5 % vol
7 – 10 years
0.75 l / 1.5 l / 3 l / 5 l
MOST RECENT AWARDS
|DECANTER WORLD WINE AWARDS||2021||2019||Silver|
|WINE ADVOCATE||2021||2019||94 punti|